Biology for the Logic Stage Resources
This resource page contains information and quick links to the activities suggested in Biology for the Logic Stage. Any corrections or additional resources will also be found on this page.
Resources for Biology for the Logic Stage
The following books are the main spines of this program. You will need to purchase both of these to complete the reading assignments scheduled in this program. (Note—The editions noted here are the most current editions. However, the past two editions of each of these spines will also work.)
- The Usborne Science Encyclopedia, 2015 Edition (USE)
- The Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia, 2017 Edition (KSE)
The following encyclopedias are scheduled for additional reference reading. They are optional, but I suggest that you purchase one or two to use throughout the year. With the exception of the Human Body book, these encyclopedias will be scheduled in subsequent logic stage programs.
- The Usborne Illustrated Dictionary of Science, 2012 Edition (UIDS)
- DK Encyclopedia of Nature, 2007 Edition (DKEN)
- DK Eyewitness Books: Human Body, 2014 Edition (DK HB)
*The above spine text links are affiliate links through Amazon.
The following two books are resources that we have written to help you as teach science at home:
You can also download a digital copy of the tests at the Elemental Science Yahoo Group.
Quick Links from the Biology for the Logic Stage Teacher Guide
- Dissection Supply Kits: Home Science Tools, Nasco Science Supplies, and Carolina Biological Supply Company
- Classical Science Curriculum for the Logic Stage Student
- Scientific Demonstrations vs. Experiments
- A Simple Explanation of the Scientific Method
- Are you considering buying a microscope for your homeschool?
- How to use a microscope
- How to make a microscope slide at home
- Week 1: Microscope Image - Plant Cells
- Week 2: DNA Tower
- Week 3: Dichotomous Keys, Classification Changes Article, and Tree Identification
- Week 6: How to make mushroom spore prints and All about lichens
- Week 7: Microscope Image - Algal Cells and Photosynthesis 101
- Week 8: Microscope Image - Fern Spores
- Week 9: Microscope Image - Pollen Grains and Types of Pollination
- Week 10: Steps for dissecting a seed
- Week 12: How to make a worm farm, How to build a worm farm, and Make a worm farm
- Week 13: Microscope Image - Water Hydra
- Week 16: Compound Bug Eye
- Week 18: Frog Dissection App and Virtual Frog Dissection
- Week 20: Owl Pellet Dissection
- Week 21: Mitosis Video and Cell Division Article
- Week 26: Microscope Image - Skin
- Week 27: Microscope Image - Bone
- Week 28: Microscope Image - Muscle
- Week 29: Neuron Model
- Week 31: Microscope Image - Red Blood Cells and Red Blood Cells Video
- Week 32: Lung Model
- Week 35: Hand-washing Activity
- Download the appendix materials at the Elemental Science Yahoo Group.
Changes to Biology for the Logic Stage
There are no known errors at this time. If you do find something, please send it to email@example.com so that we can correct the error in the next printing.
- 2017: A second printing of the second edition was released in which several errors were corrected and a few sketches were updated.
- 2015: A second edition was released that replaced the DK Encyclopedia of Nature which had gone out of print.
- 2013: A second printing of the first edition was released in which several errors were corrected and a few sketches were updated.
- 2011: The first edition of was released.
- Bradley Hudson