Biology for the Grammar Stage Resources
This resource page contains information and quick links to the activities suggested in Biology for the Grammar Stage. Any corrections or additional resources will also be found on this page.
Resources for Biology for the Grammar Stage
The following books are scheduled for use in this guide. You will need to purchase them or
find a suitable substitute to complete this program.
Younger Encyclopedia Options
- The Kingfisher First Encyclopedia of Animals, 2011 Edition (best for K through 2nd grade)
- DK First Human Body Encyclopedia, 2005 Edition (best for 1st through 3rd grade)
- Biology: Life as We Know It!, 2016 Edition (best for 1st through 4th grade)
Older Encyclopedia Options
- DK Encyclopedia of Animals, 2006 Edition (best for 2nd through 4th grade)
- The Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia, 2017 Edition (best for 4th through 6th grade)
- The Usborne Science Encyclopedia, 2015 Edition (best for 3rd through 5th grade)
Scientific Demonstration Books - You will need both of these books to complete the scientific demonstrations in this program.
- Janice VanCleave's Biology For Every Kid, 2009 Edition
- Janice VanCleave's Science Around the World, 2004 Edition (This resource is used for only a couple of weeks.)
*The above spine text links are affiliate links through Amazon.
The following two books are resources that we have written to help you as teach science at home:
Quick Links from the Biology for the Grammar Stage Teacher Guide
- Biology for the Grammar Stage Lapbooking Templates
- Biology for the Grammar Stage Coloring Pages
- Classical Science Curriculum for the Grammar Stage Student
- Scientific Demonstrations vs. Experiments
- The Basics of Notebooking
- Elemental Science Yahoo Group
- Week 1: Rainforest in a Bottle
- Week 3: Egg Carton Lion
- Week 4: Zebra Video, Hippo Puzzle, and the Endangered Species List
- Week 5: Clothespin Giraffe
- Week 7: Fused Bead Koala
- Week 8: Armadillo Potatoes and Clay Skunk
- Week 9: Peek-a-boo Walrus
- Week 10: Goat Activity Page, How to Make Butter Video, and Paper Plate Pig
- Week 11: Owl Pellet Dissection Directions and Parrot Bird Feeder
- Week 12: Egg Carton Penguin
- Week 13: Pine Cone Swan
- Week 14: Peacock Video
- Week 16: Paper Mache Alligator and Pet Turtles
- Week 17: Shark Totem Pole
- Week 18: How to Make a Worm Farm
- Week 19: Stuffed Crab
- Week 20: How to Make an Ant Farm
Human Body Unit
- Week 1: Skin Cells and Hair Cells
- Week 2: Bone Tissue
- Week 3: Muscle Cells
- Week 4: Brain Tissue
- Week 6: Red Blood Cells
- Week 7: Lung Cells and Model Lung
- Week 8: Salivary Gland Cells and Dental Health
- Week 10: Germ Testing
- Panda Facts (You might also find the following article useful - Are Giant Pandas Herbivores or Carnivores?)
- Download the appendix materials at the Elemental Science Yahoo Group.
Changes to Biology for the Grammar Stage
There are no known errors at this time. If you do find something, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can correct the error in the next printing.
- 2017: A second printing of the updated edition was released.
- 2016: The plants unit spine went out of print and was replaced with a new one.
- 2014: The program was updated to a new format, which included easier instructions and more activities. The lapbooking templates and coloring pages were also released at this time.
- 2010: A second printing of the first edition was released with several new pictures.
- 2008: The first edition of was released.
- Bradley Hudson