Honors Biology will give an overview of Scientific Reasoning, Biological Processes, Cells, Cell Theory, Microbes, Classification, Natural Selection as well as touch on the basics of Anatomy and Botany. Classes for the 2015-2016 school year will officially begin on August 24th, 2015.
Honors Biology is a two semester course designed to meet 2 times per week for 1 hour for 15 weeks each semester. All lectures will be pre-recorded and students will have access to all the lectures for a period of one year to allow for a flexible schedule. Live study sessions will be schedule by the instructor as he and the students deem necessary.
This class is fast-paced and will cover a lot of material. It is designed to meet the needs of students who are interested in the sciences or planning on majoring in a STEM related field in college.
Students will be able to submit questions and work for feedback at any point during the year. The instructor will respond as soon as he is able, usually within less than 24 hours.
The class will require the students to read the selected reading material before attending class. Class time will contain a lecture that pulls out the key concepts along with a lab demonstration or extension activity. Students will be assigned homework weekly, online quizzes, and a final exam at the end of the course.
There will be options for multiple coordinated labs and research assignments. It is highly recommended that the students submit several of these reports to the instructor for feedback throughout the year.
Grades will be assigned upon completion.
- Age – 9th to 12th graders
- Prerequisites – Pre-algebra is recommended, but not required. Some background knowledge in the basics of Biology is highly recommended.
- Full year $255
- Per Semester $140
- Text: Miller & Levine Biology: 2010 On-Level, Student Edition (Amazon Used as well as Itunes versions available, ISBN-13: 978-0133669510 ISBN-10: 0133669513)
- Computer with 2mbps Internet Connection
- Word Processing Software – Adobe Acrobat, Java 11
- Webcam & Microphone (optional for study sessions)
- Full tuition Refunds will be given until 9/4/2014 for any reason.
- 1/2 tuition refunds will be given until 9/18/2014 for any reason.